Saturday, October 17, 2009

Strawberries

The Cleveland Show is just like strawberries—it’s just not very good. To me, strawberries are kind of gross in that they look good, they smell good but once they’re in my mouth, the texture is absolutely awful. Such is the case with The Cleveland Show. After all. I’ve always been a fan of Family Guy, and I got sort of excited when I learned that there was going to be a Family Guy spin-off, called The Cleveland Show. But even though it looked like it would be really good, the texture of the show just wasn’t right.

The show started out funny enough, because it was typical Family Guy. However, it quickly degenerated when Cleveland decided that he was moving with his son, Cleveland Jr., to California. They start their journey normally enough, but they get sidetracked in Cleveland’s (fictional) hometown of Stoolbend, VA.

Cleveland runs into his high school crush, Donna, and they develop a relationship at a pace that I feel is unhealthily fast. Within two days, Cleveland forms a relationship with Donna’s two children and realizes that he wants to completely throw away his plans to go to California and stay in Stoolbend with Donna and help raise her children with her, and Donna decides that she wants the same thing.

I find it hard to believe that two people, even though this is a cartoon TV show, can fall in love that quickly, leading me to become extremely critical of this show from the get-go. Also, even though the typical Family Guy crude humor can be funny at times, I feel like I’m outgrowing the stage where I find it funny. To me, The Cleveland Show just isn’t very good. Watch this preview for yourself, and chew it over.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica,

    I'm actually really glad you wrote this post. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of Family Guy, but I do think the show is funny. However, Family Guy is kind of the limit for me. I think cheap, less intelligently crafted spin-offs are a bad idea. I will definitely not be adding this show to my must-watch list (although I will admit that list is pretty short). But I think you gave it a good, fair analysis and I found it really helpful!

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete