Sunday, November 8, 2009

Always moving

I deviate from my usual reviewing of TV shows to touch on another topic: why we as college students don’t have enough time to relax—ever.

Any TV show that I would like to sit down and watch airs in the evening during the week, when I (and probably most other students) have other commitments.

For example, Glee airs on Wednesday nights (though it hasn’t been on for two weeks due to the World Series), but I’m busy every Wednesday night. So, my friend Rachel and I have taken to watching it online on Sunday evening as a homework break.

But next quarter I’ll be working at The Post on Sunday nights.

The real question to be asked here is not “How will I watch my shows?” but “Why am I so overworked and left with no time to relax?”

I wish there was a simple, clear-cut answer.

Is it the amount of classes that people are taking? Are they classes that require a large amount of outside work?

Or is it other outside commitments, such as being involved in campus organizations or having a job?

Balancing everything that students have to do while still maintaining a social life (for the purpose of maintaining sanity, of course) is tough. I know for a fact that I’m not the only one who’s suffered a few breakdowns along the way.

Sometimes all I want to do is sit down, do nothing and watch TV.

What about you? Are you overworked as well? Do you ever just want to sit down, watch TV or read a book and escape into a different world?

Comment and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    I know exactly what you mean. Taking classes full time and working up at school leaves little time for relaxation and quality television time. I still have shows on my DVR from the beginning of the quarter that I still haven't gotten around to watching. It's kind of frustrating. I, for one, am definitely looking forward to our long break when all that I have to do is work during the day and relax with no homework or commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think as far as TV shows and class work is concerned, you should find a balance between both. Currently, I am managing to stay true to 3 shows: Modern Family, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Sons of Anarchy.

    I always watch Modern Family online usually later that night or the next day, and same goes with Sons of Anarchy. But with Always Sunny in Philadelphia, it's a tradition in my house to sit down and watch it together every Thursday night. As a house, we look forward to it, and we plan our schedules around this 30 minute segment.

    With the convenience of watching shows online, sometimes I'll watch Modern Family in between class.

    It's all about time management, and obviously it sucks because there are so many more shows I would like to watch, but you got to cut your losses.

    Another thing to think about: You can always catch up over winter break. That's 6 weeks of nothing but watching TV. Absolutely glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even have a television at my house that works. But that's because thanks to Hulu and other sites, I can watch whenever I want to. My fave shows are Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I watch illegally through tv-links, Project Runway, which is legal on mylifetime.com and all of the shows on NBC's Thursday night. I can't sit down in front of a television unless my friends are doing the same, so most of the time I watch shows right before going to bed or when I'm waiting for class to start.

    But really, I think it's more important to stay up on the news and read as many books and web sites as possible, so that tends to be more of a priority for me.

    ReplyDelete